Re: module and controller recommendation

D F Tweedie

I'd think the EWI MIDI in and XV2020 MIDI out to the sound card would work just fine. I am assuming you want to record the EWI MIDI input as well as play along. If you just want to play along there is a company, MIDI Solutions, that makes several types of MIDI splitters and joiners. They have a device that permits two MIDI in ports to a single MIDI out. That way you could send BIAB output to XV2020 input and also EWI output to XV2020 input.

There are also inexpensive USB MIDI input devices with 5 Pin DIN connectors on the other end from the USB to computer connection.

Something will definitely work for you.

To: Band-in-a-Box@...
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2018 10:25 AM
Subject: Re: [Band-in-a-Box] Re: module and controller recommendation

Thank you for replying  my sound card is a maudio delta audiophile with midi thru. Thank you anyway. I will set up to pc with Roland xv2020 sound module  midi link then the ewi.  I hope it works.  Thanks michael

On 16 Feb 2018, at 17:12, D F Tweedie bienpegaito@... [Band-in-a-Box] <Band-in-a-Box@...> wrote:

I am not familiar with that specific sound card, but if it has a 5 pin DIN connector to attach the cable from the EWI 4000S I can't imagine that it couldn't. If you have BIAB installed, just check to see whether that MIDI port shows up in BIAB. If it does, you're golden.

From: "Michael Payne sienarcm14899@... [Band-in-a-Box]" <Band-in-a-Box@...>
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2018 6:22 AM
Subject: Re: [Band-in-a-Box] Re: module and controller recommendation

Hi D F Tweedie.  Can a ewi 4000s control biab 2016 as a midi controller using midi cable thro delta 2496 sound card    Any ideas.  Sorry to jump in to thread unannounced.   Siena1

On 16 Feb 2018, at 02:00, D F Tweedie bienpegaito@... [Band-in-a-Box] <Band-in-a-Box@...> wrote:

If someone else hasn't already mentioned this, you seem to be mixing up 'MIDI modules' and 'MIDI controllers.'

A MIDI module is a sound source with synthesized audio samples that produces sound when triggered by MIDI notes. I say produces sound, but of course you may need to patch the MIDI modules output to an amplifier and speakers to hear the sound. A MIDI module can be triggered via MIDI cables from a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) or programs like BIAB or Anvil; or by keyboard input from a synthesizer or a MIDI controller.

A MIDI controller is a keyboard that can send MIDI notes to a MIDI module (or program) but contains no inherent way to produce sound ... in contrast to a synthesizer or workstation that also have keyboards and can both send MIDI to other sources as well as generate their internal souund  via MIDI. It can sent MIDI notes and other MIDI messages to either software or hardware with the proper connections.

A MIDI controller is used with BIAB to play and record MIDI parts to be played back in conjunction with either MIDI tracks or RealTracks. Those played or recorded parts will have to be connected through BIAB to either a hardware or software sound source for you to hear what is being played.

DF

From: "'Dr. Louis Polizzi' lpolizzi@... [Band-in-a-Box]" <Band-in-a-Box@...>
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2018 1:22 PM
Subject: [Band-in-a-Box] Re: module and controller recommendation

Thanks for all of your responses. This group is always a great help. The statement below however it is what really intrigued me:

"The marketplace is noticeably lacking in choices for external midi 
modules as many musicians have moved to sample-based soft-synths such as 
the RealTracks that BIAB is focusing on."

I interpreted that as meaning I can add to the arrangements by using the Sounds in band in a box, especially the real tracks.
In order not to continue to be bothersome on the site I tried to figure out how to do it myself with 32 key MIDI controller but I've had no luck.
Would it be a burden to explain what I need to do to get this to work? I'm probably missing something simple but I just can't get my mind around it to get it to work.

Lou

Sent from BlueMail

Join main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.