Survey Ideas Re: Re: Upgrade prices of BIAB___Buying Group Interest

D F Tweedie

Like everyone else, I'd like to be in a buyers' club. I'm not sure if Rodger or anyone is keeping the list, but if so, please add my name to it.

DF Tweedie, Audiophile 2017

I'm not one to spearhead this, but if I were, I'd go to Survey Monkey and see if I could create an appropriate survey and then distribute it through this or any other list I had access to where there was interest in BIAB.

The survey would only be for owners of BIAB ... so the first question would be 'do you own a version of BIAB?' The second question would be, 'if so, is it the current version?' The third question would be, 'Would you upgrade annually from your current version if you received a discount on the upgrade price?'

Such a survey would give an easier way to keep track of how great the interest is and the potential clout of such a group. If you had 20 saying they would upgrade annually, forget it. If you had 200, now you're talking. Of course people saying they will do something and people actually doing something they say they will are two different things.

Now, PG Music knows how big their customer base is, how many licenses of each version and how often those versions get updated or upgraded on average. The buyers' group doesn't and in all likelihood never will.

PG Music has only two incentives to cooperate: increase revenue by getting more people to upgrade annually ... especially on the higher end versions; and, incentivize more people to upgrade to higher end versions.

In my opinion, and this is just my speculation based upon other like opportunities I've reviewed, a 50% discount is unlikely. To say, 'I upgrade every other year, but I'd do it annually if it cost half as much,' is revenue neutral for PG Music and only creates a potentially slippery slope for PG Music. After all, they could say, what stops someone from still only updating every other year, now with the discount?

My proposed answer would be that the discount would only apply when you update from a current version to the next year's. So if you'd waited more than a year, you'd have to first update at the normal older edition price and then the following year you could get the buyers' club discount. The same principle would apply to upgrading.

Finally, what would I think a realistic discount that would incentivize PG Music? Remember this is a shot in the dark. For all we know at the higher end they may have a strong annual renewal. Remember they already discount that to those who renew annually and have a special sale in December. So, I'm again speculating that something in the 20 to 30% range might be doable.

That would add several questions to the survey, e.g., 'would you agree to renew annually at 50% discount; at 40% discount, etc. down to at 10% discount.

I think somebody with these answers and a substantial list of current licensees would be in a position to evaluate the likelihood of approaching PG Music successfully.

DF

   Date: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:32 pm ((PST))

I know the BIAB marketing director—she is very approachable.  The easiest approach is a letter drafted with all participants adding their name/email that be a show of support of the buying group proposal to BIAB.  David Bailey would have to authorize this....but I don’t see the value in 2018 upgrade.  Maybe next year 2019 is a better time to do this which would be enough time to get a list of participants and grow the list.  50% discount of the holiday sale would be a fair offer.  It’s a one time purchase offer with everyone on the list paying 50% of the holiday promo rate.

Rodger