Re: (drum) Style suggestion, please


IAN GRAHAM
 


Hallo, David
 
I'm very grateful, as ever, for your input. I understand entirely about (midi) drum sets/kits. What I'm still not entirely clear about is what the effect of selecting a single patch should be.
 
If I identified all the percussion instruments used in a style, and then, with that style selected, selected one of them individually , what would the effect be? Would all the other percussion parts be muted ?
 
Sorry to be dense !
 
Ian

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 11:43 AM
Subject: Re: [Band-in-a-Box] (drum) Style suggestion, please

 

On 2/28/2017 8:07 AM, 'Ian Graham' idgraham@...
[Band-in-a-Box] wrote:
> 
>
> Thank you, DFF, for this.
>
> Taking your 'aside' first, I entirely agree - but I think we both know
> that ain't likely to happen any time soon !
>
> Your point about quantising a swing style is a fair one, and I can
> therefore modify my original enquiry to delete 'EV' as a specification.
> What I'd like, in this instance, is a drum track that is swirly, not
> very kicky, ambient - ie probably stroked brushes plus some sort of
> cymbal(s); and rather subtly 'swung' - ie a swing ratio closer to parity
> than the default 2:1 or 3:1 ( - although that can maybe also be got at
> by quantising).
>
> Either my original post was as clear as mud to most people, or (given
> the usually active and responsive support of this group) what I'm
> looking for just isn't there.
>
> Is it fair to say, as additional comment, that though Biab makes clear
> specific provision for 'Brushes' in both RD and Midi, it is generally
> inclined to be rather robust and exuberant in its 'drumming'? The two
> places that I know of in Biab where there are kit lists, have lists that
> are pretty entirely devoted to 'hit' rather than 'stroked' instruments. .
>
> As an additional question:
>
> with RD drums NOT enabled, the drop-down patch list for Drums offers a
> small number of choices that are for specific kits (41=Brushes being the
> obvious example) but the great majority appear to be for specific
> patches - ie specific bits of a drum kit. Am I understanding that right ?
>
> So on the face of it, selecting, one at a time, two or three specific
> patches and saving to midi each time, might be a way to go ?
>
> But in fact I can't hear that Biab is responding to my choice of patch
> at all - there's always still more than one patch audible, for one
> thing. You might expect "Patch 67" ('High Agogo', from the
> Preference>Drum Kit patch list) to be rather distinctive, but I don't
> think that's what I'm hearing. Do I have to additionally enable that
> choice in some way ?
>
[snip]

I think the lack of response to your requests for suggested styles is
quite likely because most of the members of this group haven't been
looking for that sort of sound. So it might be there -- you'll just
need to sample all the styles which look like they might be somewhat
close in the StylePicker.

Regarding your last paragraph, changing the patch for individual
instruments in a drum kit only affects the drums in Midi styles -- all
the Real Styles have their drum sounds "hard wired" into the style.
They're recorded samples, so what's already been recorded can't be
changed. But for Midi drums, the sounds that are selected can be
changed. However, in order to hear the effect of the change, the style
you're listening to has to make use of the changed instrument. So a
person can change the patch for "high agogo" for example as many times
as they wish, but if the style hasn't made use of the "high agogo"
instrument in the drum part then you'll never hear the effect of the
changes.

The list of drum kits is just that -- where you see "brushes - 41" all
the choices are for various GM drum kits. To change the sound of
individual instruments (e.g. to get a brushes sound on the cymbals) you
need to use the Drum Kit dialog in the Preferences, where you alter the
patches to what you want and then save it as a custom drum kit and then
you'll need to select that drum kit specifically for any song you want
to use it in, or you'll need to use the StyleMaker to edit a style or
two to use that drum kit and then save the styles under new names so as
not to overwrite the originals.

It sounds as if you've got a very specific sound in mind for the ideal
drum kit for your song, so you may need to program your own style --
start with a style which has piano/bass/guitar/strings programmed as you
like, then edit the drum patterns.

Good luck!
--
*****
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@...
http://www.davidbaileymusicstudio.com

Join main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.