Re: (drum) Style suggestion, please

D F Tweedie

Ian, wish I could be of more help ... but I've never really delved into RB.

What I can tell you is that, yes,  most sequencers I've ever used  do in fact have variable swing settings that you can dial in to your liking with quantization.

I did snoop around to see where one might find jazz swirly brushes and came across this about the EZDrummer Jazz kit. See the last two comments, particularly.

Obviously the sample has to already be of the right type of hit to sound authentic and apparently so far there hasn't been a big enough demand for this type of drumming to have the manufacturers respond in a significant way.

DF

To: Band-in-a-Box@...
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 5:07 AM
Subject: Re: [Band-in-a-Box] (drum) Style suggestion, please

Thank you, DFF, for this.
Taking your 'aside' first, I entirely agree - but I think we both know that ain't likely to happen any time soon !
Your point about quantising a swing style is a fair one, and I can therefore modify my original enquiry to delete 'EV' as a specification. What I'd like, in this instance, is a drum track that is swirly, not very kicky, ambient - ie probably stroked brushes plus some sort of cymbal(s); and rather subtly 'swung' - ie a swing ratio closer to parity than the default 2:1 or 3:1 ( - although that can maybe also be got at by quantising).
Either my original post was as clear as mud to most people, or (given the usually active and responsive support of this group) what I'm looking for just isn't there.
Is it fair to say, as additional comment, that though Biab makes clear specific provision for 'Brushes' in both RD and Midi, it is generally inclined to be rather robust and exuberant in its 'drumming'? The two places that I know of in Biab where there are kit lists, have lists that are pretty entirely devoted to 'hit' rather than 'stroked' instruments. .
As an additional question:
with RD drums NOT enabled, the drop-down patch list for Drums offers a small number of choices that are for specific kits (41=Brushes being the obvious example) but the great majority appear to be for specific patches - ie specific bits of a drum kit. Am I understanding that right ?
So on the face of it, selecting, one at a time, two or three specific patches and saving to midi each time, might be a way to go ?
But in fact I can't hear that Biab is responding to my choice of patch at all - there's always still more than one patch audible, for one thing. You might expect "Patch 67" ('High Agogo', from the Preference>Drum Kit patch list) to be rather distinctive, but I don't think that's what I'm hearing. Do I have to additionally enable that choice in some way ?
Sincerely
Ian G
Wales
UK
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2017 5:07 PM
Subject: Re: [Band-in-a-Box] (drum) Style suggestion, please

I am probably stating the obvious, but MIDI is your friend.

If you find one of the older, non-RD styles simpatico, you can massage it in RealBand or your sequencer of choice. You can even take a swing style and straighten it out easily with quantization. Then of course you can thin out the drum hits, change the velocity and voice the different drums as you please.

As an aside, while I do find some of the RealDrums sound really good, I wish that the individual drums were available instead of a mixed down track. Then you could massage and process them, e.g., lower the volume, change the eq, etc., to t ailor a drum track to your liking.

Presumably this would be an easy thing for BIAB to do as they already undoubtedly record the drums multitrack.

To: Band-in-a-Box@...
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2017 6:22 AM
Subject: [Band-in-a-Box] (drum) Style suggestion, please

Hallo, group

I wonder if anyone can help me with this ?

I'm trying to find a drum style which is Ev rather than Sw, but still (a) definitely jazz and not rock/country/funk and (b) not Latin, and also (c) just a bit (well, quite a lot, actually) quieter than what I've found so far, in a fairly extensive search of the Stylefinder and the Real Drums style picker.

The  RD Jazz Even 8, for example, has a very busy 'front sound' on the drums, and two heavy back beats, though the ride is pretty much what I'd like. I'd like something rather more 'swirly' - and even the RD Ev brushes is actually quite thumpy.

Not that RD are essential. A midi route would at least offer the possibility of editing if necessary.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Ian G
Wales UK

Join main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.