Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2017 1:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Band-in-a-Box] Hall and Oats and Smokey Robinsons songs

Rodger,
I am a long-time user of Song Surgeon and expect to begin being a part of the beta-testers for release 5.x.

Song Surgeon and their parallel program "Download Surgeon" capture streaming audio and video.   But so will the free/open-source program Audacity.   In fact, Audacity on a Mac with "Soundflower" is equal or better than Song Surgeon or Download Surgeon in terms of what I call "purity" of the sound captured.   It may be my Windows computer (Win 10/64) but sometimes if I capture on Windows, the audio has extraneous "stuff", jitter sometimes when a background process starts or ends, or who knows.   I've captured hundreds of hours of audio on the Mac and have never encountered the "stuff" that I seem to encounter with Windows.

The current version of Song Surgeon doesn't compete well with Riffmaster Pro when it comes to slowing songs without changing pitch.   However, Transcribe from 7th String Software is REALLY good at the slow-down thing.   Transcribe also tries to identify notes/chords.   It is OK, but hopefully the new version of Song Surgeon will have mastered both "needs" (slow/tempo change and pitch/chord identification).

A realistic outlook, based on my current knowledge/experience is that Riffmaster Pro may be a good tool, but until you can try Song Surgeon 5.x or compare Transcribe, you may be best advised to master Audacity for capture, especially if you can use a Mac with Soundflower.

No matter what you use to capture, if it sounds clean, save it as WAV to avoid adding to whatever compression was invoked at the origin.   You'll also find that when you slow down a captured track, whether with Song Surgeon, Transcribe, Riffmaster Pro, et al, you'll be more likely to be satisfied than if you saved disk space and compressed your captures to MP3.   What was originally perhaps say 128kbps in the stream could like be a lot less when you compress the captured stream to MP3, even though your software says it is saving to 320kbps.

Just my $0.02.
PM me to explore nuances of the above.
Dave

On 2/26/2017 2:46 PM, 'media production' media_production@... [Band-in-a-Box] wrote:

Thank you DF.  Yikers about having to download a adware or variant browser search engine.  I tried going to http://www.listentoyoutube.com/   that Ian suggested but the URL is not working.  Maybe there is converter out there that does not  require adware or browser search engine download.

Another reason I wanted to convert youtube songs to Mp3 is so it can work with Riffmaster pro-  supposedly this software filters out other music track and you can hear the certain music tracks more isolated and slow it down without affecting pitch.  Does anyone have feedback about  Riffmaster pro and or its competitor Song Surgeon.

Or is there a better software out there for this.

Rodger

Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2017 11:12 AM

Rodger ...

The more or less simple answer. First, let me say that I am not sure of what type of audio file compression is used by YouTube. Regardless, whether it is MP3 or something else, there are no files to be downloaded: it is a streaming service.

There are several websites that generally in exchange for installing some type of adware or variant browser search engine in your browser, have the ability to capture the stream from YouTube or AFAIK any streaming audio and then convert it to an MP3 file, which you can download. As I said before, even it they provided downloading WAV files, the actual audio quality could not be improved over that of the original compressed file used for the streaming that they have captured..

These generally work by having you paste the URL of site streaming the audio into a little applet on your browser.

They are not difficult to use, but I personally found it bothersome to have the program interfere with my lean mean browsing.

And, I already get plenty of ads through my web email accounts ... thank you very much!

DF