Re: Diff. between Coyote and Sforzando

D F Tweedie

David ...

How good does 'good' have to be? There are now several 'mini MIDI' modules on the market, i.e., size of a paper back book.

One that has gotten a lot of love around BIAB circles, though I have no direct experience, is the Ketron SD2. I do note it gets mixed reviews on Amazon, but who knows what the individuals reviewers' backgrounds really are to judge?

I note that Amazon, Guitar Center, Sweetwater, etc., all have similar products ... though I can't vouch for any of them.

I myself have a Roland JV-1010, which I find very useful. It has the several soundbanks, including GM, as well as a slot for an expansion card. It is half-rack and has less gain than the larger Roland units, but plenty enough for PA in small to medium venue.

When it comes to live use, there are at least two meanings: you are using MIDI backing tracks while playing a free standing instrument such as a horn, guitar, etc.; or, you are using your MIDI keyboard to play along with your backing tracks using the same sound source.

I am doubtful any laptop will be powerful enough to run a virtual instrument with acceptable latency in the latter case.

Here are a few links for soundfont Genral MIDI banks. The members of MIDI-Kar, the Yahoo group focused on MIDI sequencing, highly recommend the Timbre's Of Heaven General MIDI soundbank. I haven't used it, but it is free.

DF