Re: Diff. between Coyote and Sforzando

D F Tweedie

I should have added for clarity that Sforzando also loads as a free standing program, i.e., independent of being placed in a program as a plugin; and, that it can be loaded as a plugin into any DAW hosting VSTi. While I haven't checked, presumably there is an AU format plugin for MAC, so it would work there as well.

Free standing it can then easily be played 'live' off a computer with a MIDI keyboard, presuming one can achieve acceptably low latency.

DF

From: "'media production' media_production@... [Band-in-a-Box]"
To: Band-in-a-Box@...
Sent: Tuesday, January 3, 2017 11:06 AM
Subject: Re: [Band-in-a-Box] Diff. between Coyote and Sforzando

Hi DF--

Thank you for the nice explanations that distinguish MIDI patch sources from Sample patch sources, but are still both assigned to a Midi patch  (if this is the correct wording)

I just bought IK Multmedia Total Studio Max for my DAW.  Is it possible to have BIAB trigger any of the midi patterns, samples, loops that come in the 4 bundlle packages of Total Studio Max—it includes the incredible Mira Slav Philharmonic 2 Orchestra or the Midi Patterns and Loops in Sample Tank Max.

If I understand correctly, BIAB can trigger any synthezizer module or keyboard if the sounds are loaded and assigned MIDI patch number to the unit.  But is it possible to have BIAB trigger the virtual samples, virtual instruments and Midi patterns that come as virtual instruments.   Sample Tank 3 has a stane alone player and can be opened in any DAW.

So I would appreciate any information in how I can use this huge library of sounds in Total Studio Max with BIAB.  It sounds like I might have to drag MIDI files to my DAW and then assign the samples or midi instrument while in the DAW.   I would really appreciate your explanations and maybe additional reading material to understand the creative applications is working with Midi files and then assigning to higher end virtual instruments.

I also bought IK Multimedia IRig Pads—a midi groove controller. http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigpads/ I’m also wondering if I can load samples and midi instruments to this unit and have BIAB trigger sounds that are assigned,  Since it only a controller and sounds are assigned, Im wondering how this technology can be integrated with BIAB.

Is the any good reading material like Midi, virtual instruments and samples for dummies.  Most manual like my Korg M3 workstation is so hard to understand the full cpabilities.

Rodger

Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 8:45 AM
Subject: Re: [Band-in-a-Box] Diff. between Coyote and Sforzando

Ian ...

You are partly correct, although your word choice needs editing.

They are both plugins as commonly understood. They are both VSTis (Virtual Studio Technology Instruments as the standard developed by Steinberg) as commonly understood.

Coyote is a 'softsynth,' but Sfortzando is not. It is what is known as a sampler.

Virtually all such instruments use patch banks of 128 patches, numbered either for 0 to 127 or occasionally from 1-128.

General MIDI uses a convention of what instruments to place on what patch so that a file written to the General MIDI standard will play the same instrument on any General MIDI compatible sound source.

Samplers can be designed for different audio formats of the patches they play. Sfortzando specifically is used for what are also called 'soundfonts,' the type of samples originally found on the Creative Labs Sound Blaster cards.

Coyote uses synthesis to create its General MIDI patch list.

Sfortzando can use any sound bank or load an individual patch. There are many free soundfont patch banks that also are written as General MIDI patch banks, i.e., containing the 128 General MIDI instruments.

A very good free one receiving a lot of attention is Timbres of Heaven, that can be found by Googling. Once you loaded such a sound bank in Sfortzando it would respond just like Coyote or any other virtual instrument conforming to General MIDI.

DF

To: "Band-in-a-Box@..."
Sent: Tuesday, January 3, 2017 8:06 AM
Subject: Re: [Band-in-a-Box] Diff. between Coyote and Sfor! zando

Hi David:

Happy New Year.

Am I correct in saying that Sfortzando soft synth is not a plugin like Coyote?  It is my understanding that there are certain styles that use the Hi-Q sounds so if you wish to take advantage of the Sfortzando sounds you have to use one of the Hi-Q styles.

Cheers,

Ian Cuthbertson

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 10:04 AM, 'David H. Bailey' dhbailey52@... [Band-in-a-Box] <Band-in-a-Box@...> wrote:

On 1/3/2017 8:23 AM, 'Dr. Louis Polizzi' lpolizzi@...
[Band-in-a-Box] wrote:
>
>
> Happy New Year to all!
>
>
>
> I have recently purchased and installed the 2017 Everything pack upgrade
> from 2015. I was wondering what is the difference between Coyote and
> Sforzando and if they are even related at all?
>

They are both soft-synths through which you can play BIAB songs with
midi styles without needing to use an external midi device or use your
soundcard's usually horrible built-in midi synth.

BIAB 2017 comes with Hi-Q instruments for the Sforzando soft synth while
the Coyote soft synth uses its own sounds.

Coyote's sounds are alright but the Hi-Q sounds for Sforzando are much
better. The downside is that they take up a lot more hard-disk space
when you install them.

My advice is to install them both as long as you have room and try the
same song file played through both and see for yourself what the
differences are.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@...
http://www. davidbaileymusicstudio.com

Join main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.