From: "'media production' media_production@... [Band-in-a-Box]"
To: Band-in-a-Box@...
Sent: Tuesday, January 3, 2017 11:06 AM
Subject: Re: [Band-in-a-Box] Diff. between Coyote and Sforzando

Hi DF--

Thank you for the nice explanations that distinguish MIDI patch sources from Sample patch sources, but are still both assigned to a Midi patch  (if this is the correct wording)

I just bought IK Multmedia Total Studio Max for my DAW.  Is it possible to have BIAB trigger any of the midi patterns, samples, loops that come in the 4 bundlle packages of Total Studio Max—it includes the incredible Mira Slav Philharmonic 2 Orchestra or the Midi Patterns and Loops in Sample Tank Max.

If I understand correctly, BIAB can trigger any synthezizer module or keyboard if the sounds are loaded and assigned MIDI patch number to the unit.  But is it possible to have BIAB trigger the virtual samples, virtual instruments and Midi patterns that come as virtual instruments.   Sample Tank 3 has a stane alone player and can be opened in any DAW.

So I would appreciate any information in how I can use this huge library of sounds in Total Studio Max with BIAB.  It sounds like I might have to drag MIDI files to my DAW and then assign the samples or midi instrument while in the DAW.   I would really appreciate your explanations and maybe additional reading material to understand the creative applications is working with Midi files and then assigning to higher end virtual instruments.

I also bought IK Multimedia IRig Pads—a midi groove controller. http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigpads/ I’m also wondering if I can load samples and midi instruments to this unit and have BIAB trigger sounds that are assigned,  Since it only a controller and sounds are assigned, Im wondering how this technology can be integrated with BIAB.

Is the any good reading material like Midi, virtual instruments and samples for dummies.  Most manual like my Korg M3 workstation is so hard to understand the full cpabilities.

Rodger

Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 8:45 AM

Ian ...

You are partly correct, although your word choice needs editing.

They are both plugins as commonly understood. They are both VSTis (Virtual Studio Technology Instruments as the standard developed by Steinberg) as commonly understood.

Coyote is a 'softsynth,' but Sfortzando is not. It is what is known as a sampler.

Virtually all such instruments use patch banks of 128 patches, numbered either for 0 to 127 or occasionally from 1-128.

General MIDI uses a convention of what instruments to place on what patch so that a file written to the General MIDI standard will play the same instrument on any General MIDI compatible sound source.

Samplers can be designed for different audio formats of the patches they play. Sfortzando specifically is used for what are also called 'soundfonts,' the type of samples originally found on the Creative Labs Sound Blaster cards.

Coyote uses synthesis to create its General MIDI patch list.

Sfortzando can use any sound bank or load an individual patch. There are many free soundfont patch banks that also are written as General MIDI patch banks, i.e., containing the 128 General MIDI instruments.

A very good free one receiving a lot of attention is Timbres of Heaven, that can be found by Googling. Once you loaded such a sound bank in Sfortzando it would respond just like Coyote or any other virtual instrument conforming to General MIDI.

DF