Re: Motivic developmetn

D F Tweedie

Good call, Clif ...

RapidComposer is a very deep program actively developed by a great guy, Attila Mezei.

It is not inexpensive, but there is great value for your money.

DF

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use or disclosure is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the communication.

To: Band-in-a-Box
Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2016 9:19 AM
Subject: Re: [Band-in-a-Box] Motivic developmetn

I don't know where my mind was on this,  but giving a model of a riff and letting it adopt it to chord structures is exactly what RapidComposer does.  I use it for melodic development, but it will be perfectly happy to work with bass riffs instead.  There is a free demo version you can download, which is good because there's a bit of a learning curve.  You can't save midi or much of anything with the demo, but you can take the notation of the results and enter it back into BiaB or wherever your using it, which is what I did until it was clear the process was going to work for me, at which point I gave them money.  
Before that I was creating special styles, two bars at a time to coerce BiaB into doing the work for me and it was a real pain.  It's annoying because BiaB has all the mechanisms inside it to do the job, and in converting a song to a plain C chord throughout, it does the job backwards.  So for me, RapidComposer was worth the learning curve and the money.
On Sep 7, 2016 7:25 PM, "Angelo angelo.nyc@... [Band-in-a-Box]" <Band-in-a-Box@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> You might try this program. It's something like BIAB, but I think it's more what you're looking for. You could also ask the people on their forum if they know of a program that does exactly what you want to do....
> https://www.cs.hmc.edu/~keller/jazz/improvisor/
>
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 7:19 AM, sda418@... [Band-in-a-Box] <Band-in-a-Box@...> wrote:
>>
>>  
>>
>> ll,
>>
>>
>> Is there any way in BIAB to suggest a motive (or riff) to work around. Say for example i have a bass riff I'm particularly fond of.  Can I suggest that BIAB use this idea as a model to build a bass line around, but BIAB is free to alter it in any way it sees fit to fit into the changes and chord patterns presented to it.  Or is this something that has to be done at the style level?
>>
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Steven 
>>
>>
>
>
>
>

Join main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.