Re: Separating drums for mixing

D F Tweedie

Highlight/ select the drum track in Logic. Go to the MIDI menu. There is a 'split by notes' option. It will create different MIDI tracks for each note ... usually 5 to 10 with a note for each instrument.

You will need a multitimbral VSTi (or whatever Apple call the equivalent to VSTi) to route each new MIDI track to a different channel in order to be able to mix each drum sound separately ... or a different instrument for each track to do the same thing if you don't have a multimbral instrument.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use or disclosure is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the communication.

To: Band-in-a-Box@...
Sent: Tuesday, May 3, 2016 12:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Band-in-a-Box] Separating drums for mixing

I used to use SONAR and would import the midi drum track from BIAB, then run a .cal script that would split the kit components to their individual tracks. I'm using Logic now, and wondering if there is a way to do the same thing in Logic. I'm using EZ drummer a lot now, but it would be handy to be able to split the BIAB drums to separate tracks. 

Gary

On May 3, 2016, at 12:01 PM, buttrey@... [Band-in-a-Box] <Band-in-a-Box@...> wrote:

Greetings. I love the ability to pick up a RealDrums track from BIAB and drop it into my DAW as part of a project. However, I (think I) would like to ability to treat the different elements of the drum kit separately in the DAW -- so I can make the kick drum "duck" when the bass guitar is hitting at the same time, for example. So my question to you wise people is two-fold: one, is there an obvious way to do that in audio, or should I just drop the track into the DAW as MIDI and figure out how to mess with it there? 

My concern is that on a small number of occasions when I've tried to move both MIDI and audio, separately, from the same BIAB project is that they haven't lined up properly -- but that might very well be me doing something silly.

Thanks for any thoughts,
Sam from near Monterey CA

Join main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.