From: "'David H. Bailey' dhbailey52@... [Band-in-a-Box]"
To: Band-in-a-Box@...
Sent: Tuesday, May 3, 2016 12:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Band-in-a-Box] Separating drums for mixing

On 5/3/2016 3:01 PM, buttrey@... [Band-in-a-Box] wrote:

> Greetings. I love the ability to pick up a RealDrums track from BIAB and
> drop it into my DAW as part of a project. However, I (think I) would
> like to ability to treat the different elements of the drum kit
> separately in the DAW -- so I can make the kick drum "duck" when the
> bass guitar is hitting at the same time, for example. So my question to
> you wise people is two-fold: one, is there an obvious way to do that in
> audio, or should I just drop the track into the DAW as MIDI and figure
> out how to mess with it there?
>

> My concern is that on a small number of occasions when I've tried to
> move both MIDI and audio, separately, from the same BIAB project is that
> they haven't lined up properly -- but that might very well be me doing
> something silly.

I don't know of any way you could do that with audio -- you'll have to
work with the midi data because you can then simply edit the various
different midi numbers as you wish or separate them all onto different
tracks if you want.

If the audio isn't lining up properly with the midi which you export
from BIAB, make sure that your BIAB PPQ resolution and that of the DAW
you're working with are the same. I don't work with this stuff often,
but I seem to recall that BIAB uses 120ppq as its standard resolution
and when they allowed us to increase that in recent versions, the
exported midi is reduced to that resolution. So set your DAW resolution
to the same and it should (theoretically) all line up properly.

dhbailey@...