From: "sda418@... [Band-in-a-Box]"
To: Band-in-a-Box@...
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 6:05 AM
Subject: [Band-in-a-Box] Wav to MIDI converter

Hi All,

About 10 years ago I did a pretty exhaustive search into WAV (MP3, etc) converters across a number of software developers that were on the market and found them all to be seriously lacking.  Not to belittle the developers, this is a very difficult mathematical and AI problem.  In previous versions I have looked at I would feed in a wav file and get back a mish-mash of some notes, overtones, and superposition's of the waves representing the notes giving an un-intelligable jumble of little black dots on a staff.

Has anyone been following this line of research and doe anyone know if here have been any substantial improvements on the recognition algorithms people have developed to tackle this problem.

The chord recognition in BIAB works quite well, but I would love to find a piece of software that will also generate at least a melody in addition to the chords.  My ultimate dream is to find a piece of software where I can feed in a guitar-bass-percussion trio and get back something that is reasonable easy to recognize the parts generated by the MIDI conversion.

Thanks
Steven