Re: Non GM banks and VST's (ie: Luxonix Purity) and BIAB

David H. Bailey

D F Tweedie wrote:
David ...
I've tried to get help with this on the PG Music forums
... and while I've followed the instructions to make an
advanced patch map, I've not had a lot of luck. One thing
that I'm still a little unclear about is whether you have
to manually reload that patch map each time ... or
whether you can get the program to default to it. Could
you please clarify?
However, even if this 'works' (and with a little help, I
can get it working!) it does not really change the basic
problem with how BIAB works in resetting to the 'styles'
default patches in Drum, Piano, Guitar and Strings.
It is true with the patch map you now would now have an
alternate 'permanent' assignment ... but as far as
auditioning different patches ... say you had several
different guitar patches you wanted to try ... you are
still out of luck.
Normally in any sequencing program (I own 4 including
Cubase 5 and have demoed all that run on a PC) once you
have your midi tracks lined up with channel and
'instrument' assigned, you can near instantly audition
different patches without losing any settings on the
other tracks. Even when midi files have bank select and/
or program changes written in, you can either instruct
the sequencer to filter out those messages or set your
'instrument' to disregard them.
So, I think 'quirky, eccentric and cumbersome' is a fair
assessment of 'upper bank' functions in BIAB, while not
for a moment forgetting where the program is brilliant:
auto arranging.
I agree with you that quirky, eccentric and cumbersome is indeed fair assessment. What I had meant was that it was untrue that you couldn't change things. I definitely agree that this is yet another area where the PGMusic developers should spend some of our hard-earned upgrade dollars!

And I have to admit that I'm flying blind in this, trying to help you figure things out without having actually done them myself because I'm quite happy with the default GM bank sounds on my modules.

By clicking on the Help button in the Make an Advanced Patch Map dialog, the following is part of what shows up:

[quote]Say, for example, you have some great string sounds on your synth on Bank 4, Controller 32. With this feature you can not only get to them by selecting the Opt. | Utilities | Make an Advanced Patch map window; you can save them as part of your Band-in-a-Box setup by clicking the [Save] button. This will append your MYSETUP.DK file to include all of the patches you like to use, regardless of where they are on your synth.

This feature can also be effectively used by people who have a supported and preconfigurable setup. For example, if you wanted to change a your bass patch to play an octave down for that "funk" sound, enable the Octave box in the advanced settings, then enter a "-1" in the appropriate box. Select the Bass in the "Audition Changes on Channel" box and press the [Update] button to hear your changes.

If you like the changes you have made you can store your changes permanently by clicking the [Save] button. Your changes will then be appended to your MYSETUP.DK file and used for future sessions of Band-in-a-Box.
[endquote]

So to answer your question about reloading the file each time, it sure seems as if once you've defined this advanced patch map it should give you the sounds you initial define each time you restart the program. One thing I did notice in the Make An Advanced Patch Map dialog is the "Update Settings" button -- I'm not clear on what that does but it might be something you should investigate.

You are also able to create yet another file to help you define and make easy to get at sounds in higher banks. And that is a .PAT file, which you create in a text editor, and then load manually into BIAB. I don't know whether once you load it, it will reload automatically until you select another one or whether you need to load it each time you run BIAB. Once this is loaded, it should be easy to do as you wish, and try out different guitar sounds (for example) to find the one you like best.

There is info somewhere on the PGMusic web-site about how to create such a file, but one way to learn is to look at existing .PAT files and then either create a new one, or start with one which has the basic info you need and then edit the individual patch listings.

None of it's easy, but it should be possible, given the tools which PGMusic has included. The one horrible aspect of this all is the documentation -- that's one area where PGMusic has *never* excelled. In the early days, when the program was very self-explanatory and easily explored it didn't matter so much, but as it grew in complexity the documentation hasn't improved any, making it all so much harder than needs to be.

I hope this has helped and I'm sorry I can't be more specific about just what you need to do.

Good luck.

dhbailey@davidbaileymusicstudio.com